Sunday, January 20, 2013

First sheet metal part installed

Well, it looks like I should make this a "I'll post when I make some progress"...blog.

So, I did made some good progress on the build this weekend.

One of the big highlights of the weekend was a Factory Five Builder/Owner (Ray and Jodie) stopped by on Saturday morning with his roadster! It was very motivating to talk with both of them about their build and some of the improvements that they see from their version.

He even took me for a ride.

Between you and me... this was my first time going for a ride in Roadster!I've sat in a few of them... but, to feel the power and hear the roar of the side pipes...Yes, I made the right choice!
 
It was a blast! very quick and...a very manly ride! Ray has offered his help when I need it and I'll take it!
 

 
 
One of the other things that happened this weekend was that several neighbors came over to the garage and looked, asked question about the car... Neighbors that I have only nodded to in passing. I've learned that I have at least four neighbors that are or were mechanics in their careers and they offered help. Pretty cool. I'll be talking with them all in the future for advice and/or lifting help. 
 
 
Progress on the car, I pulled all of the Aluminum off of the chassis.
 



Now we can see all of the structural members of the chassis. Very well designed and excellent craftsmanship on the fabrication.

The next step was to install the first piece of sheetmetal. Its called the "F" panel and it goes over the front suspension. One on each side.

There is some prep work the needs to be done to the sheetmetal before installing them.

So before removing the sheet metal from the chassis each part is marked where the mounting tubes come in contact with the sheetmetal. Once marked using a template holes spaced 1-1/2" apart are drilled through the sheet metal.


Once you have the holes in the panels you place it back on the chassis and transfer the through holes into the chassis. I'm using Cleco's to hold the piece to the chassis.Kind of a third hand.



 



Once all of the holes in the chassis are drilled. Each panel is held onto the chassis with Silicone sealant and Pop rivets.

Next step is on to installing the front suspension!! good story from Bill Cosby on the AC Cobra



No comments:

Post a Comment