Monday, April 29, 2013

Been awhile

Well, it's been awhile since I last posted. Spring has sprung here in San Diego and there are many things to do, I've been spending time enjoying the nice weather and working outside in the yard. In addition, I did some traveling for work and Baseball season has started. Somehow I did manager to squeeze in a little time working on the car.

I took the hit and ordered the Ford computer module kit. This kit includes the fly by wire pedal assembly, the computer, MAI, air box (I won't be using this part) a relay box and an another wire harness plus some miscellaneous parts. This kit is needed to allow the coyote motor to run in a non-mustang build. pretty much designed for use in a custom hotrod or a retro upgrade. With this installed kit you can use a OBII code reader to trouble shoot the motor.
Whew, another wire harness... , FFR has provided a good instruction guide to tie the two harness together! I will be spending a lot of time checking and rechecking this part of the build.
 
Here is the computer. I will need to fabricate a bracket to mount this box in the engine bay (away from a heat source.. like the headers!). So far, it seems to me that the best location will need to be on top of the passenger foot box. We'll see as we go along on where the best place to install the computer will be. 
.

  OK, so this kit was over $1400.00 and what was the first thing that I needed to do to installed this in the car... yep, cut up the pedal assembly to allow it to be mounted into the space much thinner then a standard mustang foot box.. thankfully, Lori reminded me of the old saying... "measure twice, cut once" following her lead and the good FFR documentation I worked my way through the modifications. Pretty much cut off some of the mounting flanges, cut off the front of the petal assembly. The ford pedal is a rigid design while the FFR pedal have a pivot and spring to allow it to rotate.

The Ford pedal is on the left and the FFR pedal on the right.


 

after removing 2 of the mounting flanges.


 
 

 
removing part of the FFR pedal, drill some holes add a mounting plate and some other hardware...
 
 and there you have it a new pedal assembly that is fly by wire and a pivot point.

 
 
installed very nicely into the foot box. I know that I'm the only one to see it. but I took the time and sanded and painted the assembly before installing.
 
 
 
I placed in one of the seat in the cockpit and did a trial fit of the pedals.
 
 
yep, can see myself enjoying many years behind the wheel of a car that I built!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment